Sunday, January 16, 2011

Exploring Dublin

On Friday we had orientation in the morning, and then were split into groups and given a scavenger hunt of things around the city to find by the next day. My group decided we weren't very excited by the scavenger hunt option and parted ways to do our own exploring. Andy, Matt, Brian and I set off up the street from the academic center to St. Stephen's Green, where we walked around for a few minutes while we decided our next move.







Leash kid! D:




 We then decided to walk home by a route we had never been before, and explore things as we went. We walked past the National Museum of Ireland, and explored a little park that turned out to be Merrion Square Park, where a statue of Oscar Wilde lays tucked away in a secluded corner. We saw a memorial for all the Irish service men who have lost their lives in defense of their country, and smelled the sweetness of growing greenery all around. It smelled like spring at my house, and I found the park very comforting - I expect I will return there often to do homework or just sit and think.

More cool architecture for Emma
I am fairly certain this man is a butler, which seemed picture-worthy.

I don't know what this means even in English....



Whatever that sign said, this is the building it was talking about.
Outside the Natural History Museum
Also outside the Natural History Museum. Andy, having just read about mister T.H. Parke in one of his Ireland books, was very excited to tell us all about him.
Monument honoring the sacrifice of Irish servicemen

Oscar Wilde, lounging in Merrion Square Park


 After all this excitement, we made our way to Trinity College, where we fulfilled another longstanding dream of mine by going to see the Book of Kells! This is a book containing the four gospels of the New Testament, handwritten and all with incredibly detailed drawings and designs. It dates back to some time in the 800's, and is a truly breathtaking artifact. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take any pictures of the book or any of the informative panels provided, but I learned a lot about this incredible historical treasure and got to see a few pages of the book up close.

One of the elaborate drawings from the Book of Kells. This was done with quills, reeds, and ink from plants and stones - so cool!

By the way, I understand that some of the people who read this are not as familiar with blogs, blogging, or indeed computers in general, as others may be. Just so everyone is aware, if you would like to get a closer look at the pictures, just click on them and you can see a bigger version. Here are a few pictures of Trinity College (founded by Queen Elizabeth I in 1592) and the rest of our walk home, as well as some buildings on the way to the academic center that I thought Emma would find interesting.

Trinity College

Trinity College

Trinity College - and Andy!

Trinity College

Now, I should know what this building is, but I don't. It's still cool-looking though. :)


I'm not sure what this is, but I have since seen more signs for it. Will be looking into it more later....

Dublin Castle. I have yet to take the tour, but don't worry, I will.


This is the prow of a ship in the ground, but at first I thought it was an abstract of an old man. Anyone else see it?

From here on is pictures of buildings on the way to the academic center for Emma :)

One side is brick, the other stone.

Interesting rooftops

Again, stone on one side, brick on the other.


A little building on the edge of St. Stephen's Green
 It is getting late and my first day of classes is tomorrow (!) so I must go rest now on my brand new pillow that I bought today which will hopefully be better than the dinky little neck rest provided by the hotel. I can't wait to get started on classes - first of the day is one I'm most excited for: 9:00am Cultural Immersion Through Irish Music, or Ceol na hEireann. :)

P.S. From here on out I will have school work to be working on, so I expect the blog posts will be fewer and farther between. I will do my best however! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this Hannah, this is really beautiful. The architecture is incredible. It's wonderful that you are seeing so much. I am looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy! I'm having a blast so far and it's really great to be able to share this with everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete