Friday, January 7, 2011

Four Days And Counting

For those of you who know me (and let's face it, you wouldn't be reading this blog if you didn't), you know that I tend to worry about some stuff. I mean, we're talking about a girl who was given Valium when she got her wisdom teeth pulled. The night before and the morning of. So, when I tell you that I am leaving on a plane in four days time to spend a semester studying in Europe, you can imagine the inner turmoil that is ripping its way through my insides. I have yet to go to the bank to work out my financial situation; I have not started packing, and indeed am not yet unpacked from my move home from college; my recently renewed license will not be mailed until several days after I leave; the rain coat I ordered has not yet arrived, and for the life of me I cannot find my retainer. Oh, did I mention I'm sick as a dog and just said a tearful farewell to the man I love not seven hours ago? Lovely.

Let's back up a little bit. Though all my (one) adoring readers probably know all this, it's good to get a clear picture right from the start, and, on the off chance there are some new faces hanging around it's only polite to make the usual introductions. My name is Hannah, and I am a business major in my junior year at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont. When I was first visiting the school as a junior in high school, I honestly felt that if a team of experts had set out to create a school specifically for me, it would have looked exactly like Champlain. It's very small, nestled into the hill that is Burlington and overlooking Lake Champlain. The buildings are old-timey, the dorms are renovated Victorian mansions, and the school owns a campus in Dublin, Ireland, which is possibly number one on my list of places to visit as I am obsessed with Irish culture. So, before I even got accepted I knew that at this time, spring of 2011, I would be saying goodbye for a time and making my way over the pond. I just didn't think it would get here so quickly.

The Cast:

Liz

My best friend, my go-to girl and my roommate-to-be in Dublin. We were roommates last year so I am pumped to live with her again in Ireland. My expectations: I will be too messy and she will be too nice about it.

Ian

Ian, Liz and I have been buds since freshman year. Now, Liz and Ian are dating and it's basically the cutest thing ever. My expectations: We will recreate the Lord of the Rings trekking the Irish countryside.

Andy

Andy and I met in class last year, found out we both liked the same kind of music, that he sings and plays the guitar and I sing as well, and it was history. We started playing music together this summer and have even written a bit ourselves. We are taking all five of the same classes. My expectations: There will be a lot of music. Bikes.

Skipper

Skipper is my ferret who is unfortunately not going. He is the smartest, cutest, funniest, and cuddliest animal I have every met. My expectations: I will miss him every day I am gone and hound his poor host mother with requests to see pics/videos/actually skype with him.

And Me

Knitter, reader, and recent computer-gaming-convert, I am a nerd girl through and through. My expectations: I will go through periods of intense excitement and adventurous inclinations followed closely by periods of intense home-Brandon-Skipper-sickness and worry.

There are many other wonderful people going and not going who am I sure will be mentioned later in the blog including but not limited to: Brandon (boyfriend, not going), Patrick (past roommate and good friend, going), Matt (past roommate and good friend, going), Allyson (roommate, going), Rachel (roommate, going), Jordan (friend, going), Lucas (friend, not going), Danielle (friend, not going). But seriously, that's a lot of people to upload pics and profiles for and it's 3:10am so no judging, if you please. You shall meet them all in good time. Fun game: guess which one is holding Skipper?

2 comments:

  1. Hannah: Have a great time and do not fear. Ireland is just a great place, and the people are wonderful. You're going at a great time--before the tourist season starts in May. Make sure your friends bring their musical instruments. You'll need them at the pubs. Story-telling is big too. Debbie and I may try to get over and see you. Love, Patrick (your Godfather)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrick! My friend Andy is bringing his guitar, and we're actually taking a class called Cultural Immersion Through Irish Music where we make a Bodhran and play the penny whistle - I'm so excited! I'll write more about that later though. Hope you guys can make it out there. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete